Welcome to POMI STEM Education with Mobile Sensor-Based Lab Project page!
Our project has two main foci:
- Stimulating inquiry-based mathematics and science learning
- Taking the lab to the real world - increased access to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) experiments in students' everyday lives
Inquiry- and experience-based Mathematics and science learning are based on games and activities for individuals and groups, taking place while the players are co-located or at different places.
Benefits of Mobile Devices for Education
[Based on the discussion with Seth Weinberger, 308x class, 2009-04-15]
Considering mobile devices for education, the immediate implication is that:
- Students are not restricted to learn at a specific site; and
- Students can be engaged in activities that require mobility.
These benefits are significant because they directly effect the teaching and learning experiences.
However, using mobile devices have additional benefits with powerful implications on the educational infrastructure and on the supporting environment. They are:
- Differentiated instructions
- Scaffolding – teaching the right prerequisites just when they are needed just to those students who do not already have them
- Cost saving
- Repetition – very important for certain subjects
- Community – community of learning and teaching support – pass around stories
- Home-school connection to engage the parents